Monday, September 19, 2011

My Amazing Daughter

So Maddie was asked to speak in the Youth Session of our Stake Conference yesterday and she did something that for those of you that weren't there I would like to share. This girl continues to teach me more than I could ever teach her. I love her more than words could ever say and hope that what she did may have helped the youth understand what is really important in this life, I know I will look at my life a little different now. 


I had to speak in the youth session of Stake Conference. Here's my talk:
For those of you that don't know me, my name is Maddie Cook.I'm 15 years old and in 10th grade. I have a long scar on my left leg. In my leg I have a mechanical knee & femur which causes me to limp. I lost all my hair, most of my eyelashes, my eyebrows and tastebuds. I haven't had a real school day since February. I have something called a port that sits on my rib under my skin. The port has a line that goes directly to my heart. Its like a semi-permanent substitute for an IV. I spent most of my time laying in a hospital bed getting a medicine in my port called chemo.
By now I'm sure you've put it all together and figured out that I have cancer. Although most of these things don't sound very positive, there are some good things that come with this trial.
For example, I can be a brunette, blonde or redhead all in the same day. I get to use the electric wheelchair at Walmart, even though it goes very slow. I can eat anything I want to eat and not gain weight. I don't have to shave my legs or my eyebrows. And I don't care what shampoo and conditioner my mom buys.
One thing I've learned is that looks aren't as important as I thought. I have more self esteem than I have ever had. The world wants us to believe that true beauty is on the outside. 
When really, true beauty comes from within. (Then I took my wig off)
The theme for girls camp this year was "Be Beautiful to Him". It was through small miracles and the tender mercies of the Lord, that I was able to attend girls camp. One of the nights @ girls camp we were priveledged to hear from a named Meg Johnson. Who was injured in an accident and is now paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair. It was good for me to hear how positive she was. She had a big smile on her face throughout the whole thing and she never once complained about it. It helped me have a better attitude about my trial. I have so many spiritual experiences that have helped me through this and have strengthened my testimony. Even though I'm going through this hard time in my life, the lord has blessed me in so many ways. (Then I bore my testimony)


I stood next to her as she gave her talk as soon as she took her wig off I couldn't look at the audience anymore. Maddie you are my hero:)
Mom

2 comments:

  1. I was truly touched by your words yesterday. You are such a courageous girl and such a beautiful example to our youth of true beauty - inside and out. Thank you for being strong and letting your sweet spirit touch my life! -Natalie Steed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very touched as I read your talk, Maddie. You are so brave. You may know about my son, Steven, who is also being treated for bone cancer. He is only nine and doesn't verbalize his feelings very well. It is really nice to hear your perspective. Thanks for sharing your talk and your example. Good luck on the weight gain! Steven has done much better without cisplatin--hopefully you will have the same results.

    ReplyDelete